Tuesday, November 30, 2010

PUPPIES!!! A-MA-Zing!

Last night I witnessed the birth of puppies!  I was lucky to get to be there because Mark and Tom were gone hunting so I filled in for the night.  Finally, a good thing that came from hunting! (Sorry babe, but you know how I feel about it- thank God today is the last day of the season. Wahoo!) 

Anyway, it was an incredible experience, scary at times but none the less incredible!  I have never in my 27, I mean 21 years, seen the birth of animals.  I cannot believe how well the mama did!  Its amazing how she knew exactly what to do and where to lick the puppies to get them rearing to go!   Abby started having puppies at 6:30 and had one about every 30-45 minutes for the next few hours. It, was really less traumatic than I thought.  It's so fascinating that the puppies come out in little sacks and then the mama has to rip them open and basically lick each baby to life as soon as they are born they are on a serious mission to find milk--the first born was a little girl, and she is going to be a serious Roley-poly.  She stayed hooked on the entire time! And if she detached she would cry until she found her way back! The girl likes to eat! 

Jen and I did have to make an emergency run to the vet at 12:00 because one baby was stuck in the birthing canal.  We loaded up all the other 5 puppies and Jen hoisted 70lb Abby into the car and we were off.  That alone was quite the experience in itself!  The 6th pup did not make it, because it was too big for Abby to birth, so sad! The vets were so nice in helping Abby and they tried to resuscitate the puppy.  It was a life learning experience and I am so thankful that I got to experience it with one of my bests!  Thanks Jen, we were quite a team last night!   Just thought I needed to write down my experience while it's still fresh in my mind.  Although I will mention that we are running on 4 hrs sleep because we both had to work bright and squirrely so who knows how much sense I am actually making! P.S. labs, 4 black one yellow, 4 boys and one girl! I am in love! 

No comments:

Post a Comment